The Geek Icon
My final project for printmaking: a lino cut print based on Waterhouse's painting, A Mermaid.
The print I probably spent the most time on was my lino cut version of a John William Waterhouse painting.
Here is my first printed proof. As you can see it's a very simplified version of the painting, focusing on graphic shapes and contrast. There were a couple of things I wanted to clean up. For one thing, her tail sort of blended in with the ground too much and was hard to pick out.
In the second print I've carved out her tail a bit more to make it lighter. Now I wanted to do something about the water. The waves just before the shore look all wrong-- I just made crisscrossed lines to represent the foam. That can be improved upon, too.
In this version I have carved all the water out completely and created a second plate to represent the wave. This also allows me to make the water a different colour from the rest of the print. There are little details I could fiddle with until the end of eternity, but overall I'm pretty happy with this final version.
Once I had my two plates the way I wanted them, I got some nice rice paper and started playing around with mixing different colours of inks. Here are three of the best of those experiments, but I have a lot more that I didn't scan in.